It was about 2 weeks ago that I decided to get wool braids.
I first saw them on my friend from Nigeria and thought they looked so cool on her that I really wanted to give it a try myself. Of course, since this is a typical ‘afro’-hairstyle I wasn’t sure whether it would suit me because I’m so pale but now I definitely don’t regret making that choice!
I think they look really cool on me and I SO don’t regret getting them – although the actual process of braiding them into my hair took them 7 hours, yes, 7 !!
(I don’t even wanna think of the removal process, although one of the women who braided my hair said it isn’t that time intensive)
It was a bit of a torture but since it ended up looking so rad I have no regrets, some people even asked me to take photos with them, bet they thought I was famous euheuheuheu….:P
The kind of wool-strigns they used to braid are made out of cotton btw. – since I’m vegan, and also since I just like cotton better as a material. Anyways, there are not only positives to those long braids. Here’s my list of pros and cons I’ve experienced with them so far:
- they just look cool
- put you into the spotlight of attention basically anywhere you go
- people will compliment on your hair (I get about 5 people per day telling me they like my hair)
- they just give every outfit a special touch, especially if you already dress a little edgy
- you save a lot of time when taking showers and doing the ‘hair care’
- they last very long
- getting them takes ages
- can’t wash them like normal hair
- they get very heavy when they get wet
- they disturb a little while sleeping, resting on your head
- oils and sprays are a necessity to keep your hair hydrated
- the number of hairstyles you can do with them is quite restricted
So this is just a quick list of things I experienced since I have them, although some of the pros listed do weigh more than the cons to me.
Another cool thing about these braids is that they can stay in your hair for up to 6 months! Well, I think I will remove mine before university starts at the end of september but this might not have been my last time getting them. :)
Did you ever have braids or thought about getting them?
xx ♡ Micky
|P.S. If you have any questions, feel free to leave a comment below - I’ll answer them asap.|